1. GNOME 3 :
All it takes is a 90 Mb download.
Installing GNOME 3 ( with GNOME 2 ) is as easy as slicing a butter with knife. Here is how to slice this butter :
- Click on this link . Click on ‘Allow’ in the dialog box that pops up in your browser.
- Ubuntu Software Center will open up.
- Click on install. Drink some water. It will download and install GNOME 3. Thats it you are done.
- Once installation is finished you’ll have both GNOME 3 and GNOME 2 under your sleeve.
- All you need to do now is just logout and select GNOME for ‘GNOME 3’ session and GNOME Classic for ‘GNOME 2’ session.
|GNOME 3 Menu|
Cinnamon is something that is on its way for completion which means it is not fully developed yet. And as a result it is slow. You’ll feel a bit nostalgic when you use Cinnamon because, its menu and toolbar are similar to that of XP’s. Also it allows you to use applets that pack a punch.
Here is how to get this baby in your truck :
- Open the Terminal ( use Ctrl + Alt + T )
- Type : sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gwendal-lebihan-dev/cinnamon-stable
- After that is over, now close your terminal and open synaptic package manager and search for cinnamon. Mark it for installation and install it. Thats it. You are ready to use cinnamon.
- Just as the old saying goes, logout and select Cinnamon to try it out.